Would you like to know how to get rid of dust mites from your mattress? You don't need to worry. We've got you covered. Additionally, you will learn:
- How to kill dust mites on a mattress?
- How to eliminate dust mites in a mattress naturally?
- How to treat bed bugs on a mattress?
It is possible to remove dust mites from your mattress by drying it in the sun because they cannot tolerate higher temperatures. You can also sprinkle baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then vacuum it. The dust mites will be sucked up and removed that way.
How to kill dust mites on a mattress?
Allergies caused by dust mites are prevalent in high temperatures, especially in mattresses. The warmth from the fibers makes it the perfect breeding ground for them. It may result in sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes, eczema, etc.
As a result, experts recommend washing your bedding once a week with hot water. Soaking the bed linens in hot water for about four hours can kill dust mites and help to reduce them over time. To kill dust mites on a mattress, follow these tips:
- By soaking your mattress cover or bedding in hot water at 140° F, you can get rid of dust mites.
- The mattress fabric can be dried at 130° F for around 15 minutes if it is not suitable for hot water. The bed linen can also be frozen for 24 hours in order to kill dust mites since they cannot survive in cold temperatures.
- Steam cleaning is an option. Steam cleaning your mattress is also an effective way of killing dust mites.
- Tea-tree oil should be used. It has antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties that can kill and disinfect bacteria. Two tablespoons of tea tree oil and two tablespoons of eucalyptus oil can be added to a spray bottle and sprayed around the room to kill dust mites.
- Make sure that the humidity level in the room is not too high, as dust mites survive on certain levels of humidity. Hygrometers can be used to check humidity levels in the home, with an ideal temperature of 40%-50%. Dust mites can be kept away by using a dehumidifier.
- The dust mites can also be killed by using a dust-proof, anti-allergen, or mite-proof mattress cover that makes it impossible for them to crawl out to feed on your dead skin.
- Diatomaceous earth can be used. The natural powder is made from silica rock, which is eco-friendly and safe for both humans and animals. You can sprinkle it on the mattress and leave it for a longer period, then use a vacuum to clean it. Efficaciously kills dust mites instantly.
How to eliminate dust mites in a mattress naturally?
Every day, a person sheds enough dead skin to feed millions of dust mites. Food is abundant so they can feed and stay. To defend yourself from dust mites, it is important to dust and clean your house regularly.
You can find dust mites almost anywhere, including your room, mattress, bed, pillow, and soft toys in your bedroom. It can be difficult to eliminate dust mites naturally, but there are several ways to do so without chemicals. Natural ways to get rid of dust mites include:
- Use a HEPA filter to vacuum your bedroom regularly after you clean to prevent dust mites from entering. You can eliminate dust mites by regularly cleaning or dusting and opening windows to let in fresh air.
- If you have old carpets, fabrics, or soft toys in the bedroom, they can be breeding grounds for them. It is crucial to not only clean the mattress, but also the entire room, to eliminate dust mites.
- A HEPA-filtered vacuum can also be used to remove dust mites from your mattress. Ordinary vacuums cannot remove dust mites, but HEPA filters can remove things that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as dust mites, bacteria, pollen, etc.
- You can replace down or feather mattresses with hypoallergenic fabrics if you are allergic to dust mites. Since down or feather mattresses are the primary source of dust mites, it helps eliminate them.
- It is important to groom your pets regularly if you allow them to sleep on your bed, as their skin flakes and furs can attract dust mites. Brush them regularly to keep them clean.
- Baking soda can also be used. Known for its antibacterial properties, it has many beneficial properties, such as removing bacteria or microbes. Baking soda can be poured over your mattress and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then vacuumed. As a result, dust mites can be cleaned and eliminated.
- Dust mites can be collected and eliminated with a damp cloth and a few drops of eucalyptus oil or essential oils.
How to treat bed bugs on a mattress?
If your mattress shows signs of bed bugs and you want to treat them. Here are some tips you can try:
- Brushing the mattress with a stiff brush removes them and their eggs.
- To prevent bed bugs from entering and escaping, use a tight-woven zip cover.
- Natural remedies such as clove, peppermint leaves, lavender, lemongrass, or mint leaves can be used to kill them and keep them away.
- You can also use alcohol by spraying it around your mattress. When it comes into contact with bedbugs, it kills them.